COTU urges Uhuru to sack Kambi
By KBC Reporter
Central Organization of Trade Unions now want president Uhuru Kenyatta to sack labor cabinet secretary Kambi Kazungu over what it says are errors of omission by his office.
The union says that the cabinet secretary has failed in his mandate of entrenching necessary labor reforms in the country warning that they will be forced to call a nationwide strike on august 4th if he continues interfering with the labor movement.
The union has at the same time issued seven demands that it wants addressed including the nullification of the gazette notice that terminated NSSF board membership of Francis Atwoli and Jacqueline Mugo.
On Friday and Labour Cabinet Secretary Kazungu Kambi removed the Federation of Kenya Employers representative Jacqueline Mugo and the Secretary General of the Central Organization of Trade Union from representing the employers and workers respectively as members of the NSSF Board of Trustees.
Kambi said he took the decision after Atwoli missed nine consecutive board meetings.
Atwoli has served 15 years instead of two terms of three years, while Mugo has served 11 years on the board.
Following the statement, COTU moved to court Monday to block the implementation of a gazette notice that revoked the Atwoli and Mugo as members of the NSSF Board of Trustees.
In the case filed by Atwoli’s lawyer Judith Guserwa, Atwoli says that Kambi did not notify them as mandated in the constitution and that the move will expose workers’ funds.
The Industrial Court suspended the notice by Labour Cabinet Secretary which saw Atwoli cancel the workers’ strike which had been planned for August 4th.