Court orders CORD to hold peaceful rallies

By KBC Reporters

Mike Sonko had sought orders to stop rallies planned by CORD and the Jubilee coalition (File)

The High Court has directed that Opposition leaders Raila Odinga, Kalonzo Musyoka and Moses Wetangula be held personally liable in case of any violence and destruction of property during Monday’s Saba Saba rally.

High Court judge Justice Isaac Lenaola ordered the opposition to hold meetings without disrupting any business of members of public who will not be party to the rallies.

Justice Lenaola at the same time ordered that the CORD leaders cannot declare 7th July a public holiday.

The application had been filled by Nairobi Senator Mike Mbuvi Sonko.

Sonko had sought orders to stop rallies planned by CORD and the Jubilee coalition, expressing fears that the political animosity witnessed was likely to cause more divisions.

Elsewhere, Mombasa county commissioner Nelson Marwa has warned Mombasa residents against causing chaos on Monday during the sabasaba rally.

Marwa said they have heightened the police presence and have already zoned the area they feel there is going to be chaos.

Addressing journalists in his boardroom during a security meeting with all security personnel in the county, the county commissioner said they are keeping vigil on three individuals who are out to pay youths to cause problems in the county.

Marwa said the government will not take any chances on security issues in the country.

He urged Mombasa county residents to go on with their daily activities like any other day and not to engage themselves in any activities meant to cause mayhem in the county.

 

1 Comment

  1. BAMBO CHARLES BILAL
    July 05, 2014

    plz we are all kenyans,let us be united as brothers,sisters,fathers and mothers of one nation home called kenya.