Five killed in fresh attacks near Mpeketoni
By Margaret Kalekye/BBC
At least five people have been killed in fresh attacks at Witu in Lamu County.
The area is close to the scene of raids last week in which more than 60 people died.
Officials said an armed gang descended on the village of Witu, about 15km from the town of Mpeketoni. No group has claimed of responsibility.
Somali Islamist group Al-Shabab said it carried out last week’s attacks in Mpeketoni, near Lamu. However the government blamed the massacre on local political groups.
Lamu County Commissioner Stephen Ikua confirmed on Tuesday there had been a new “unfortunate attack” overnight.
Al-Shabab said previous raids were in response to the presence of Kenyan troops in Somalia.
This came as Kenyan fighter jet launched renewed air strikes on the group’s bases in Somalia in recent days killing over 80 Al Shabaab fighters.
The air strikes on the impoverished villages of Anole and Kuday in the southern Lower Juba region are part of the offensive by the 22,000-strong AU mission in Somalia (Amisom), who launched in March a fresh bid to wrest remaining towns from the Islamists.