Four family members escape death after gas explosion

Written By: Wambui Mwangi/Beth Nyaga
1036

Four family members are nursing serious wounds after a gas explosion
KBC_Facebook-728x90

Four family members are nursing serious wounds after a gas explosion in Maragua District Hospital.

Judy Wanjiru, the mother was in the kitchen preparing some food while the explosion occurred.

Wanjiru said that her two children were in their bedroom while the house went up in flames.

Her husband who was also in the house dashed to their children’s bedroom in a bid to rescue them, it was at this point that her husband inhaled the toxic fumes that saw him transferred to Kenyatta National Hospital for more specialized care.

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 22163

Maragua Hospital Medical Superintendent Dr. Stephen Ngige says the husband who was referred to KNH had sustained about 40 percent degree internal burns and therefore needed ICU services which Murang’a County does not have.

Also Read  President Kenyatta mourns former US First Lady Barbara Bush

Dr. Ngige said that the other three patients, the mother and children, had sustained between 30 to 20 percent degree burns and thus were recuperating well at the hospital.

Also Read  2,500 Tana River floods victims receive food donations

Dr. Ngige also cautioned people against crowding in a room where cooking is taking place saying that in case of fire outbreak, escaping would be a problem.

Also Read  Older persons cash transfer programme still on course

He added that gas explosions are the worst in terms of spreading which burn and spread faster than any other fires.

The doctor also warned about tampering with blisters as a result of burning urging patients to always seek medical attention.

kbc_Twitter-728x90-new

Tell Us What You Think


SHARE