Four terror suspects arraigned in court

By Samuel Musita

Four terror suspects arrested on Saturday for allegedly possessing bomb-making material in the Majengo section of Nairobi have been charged and denied bail.

A Ugandan national, Mohamed Yusuf Kuloba, who is alleged to be a member of Al-Shabaab, was among the suspects found with 62 sachets of explosive material and 10 kilogrammes of bhang.

Kuloba, Jibril Kaima Masudi, Mwanaidi Wanjiku Mwema and Julius Kariuki Maina denied the charges against them.

The prosecution said investigations were incomplete and that police required seven more days to complete the probe.

Kuloba was further charged with being in Kenya illegally. The charge stated that, contrary to the Immigration Act, on July 19, being a Ugandan, he was found without a valid permit allowing him to be in the country.

The four denied being in possession of bhang worth Sh100,000.The Four will return to court on July 30 for a renewal of their bond application.

The arrest of the four on saturday came months after police launched an operation to rid the city of terrorists and their cells.

Since the operation began in April, more than 4,000 people have been arrested. Some were deported to Somalia, while many more were sent to refugee camps in the north of the country.

Some Muslim leaders and the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (Ipoa) have expressed discomfort at the manner in which the operation is being carried out, accusing police of high-handedness and corruption.

The operation was launched in April in reaction to a series of explosions targeting matatus and businesses.

In the latest attacks on May 16, 12 people were killed and 78 injured in twin bombings at the busy Gikomba market.

Two others died in a similar explosion in a passenger bus on Thika Superhighway.

The operation was concentrated in Eastleigh and extended to other parts of Nairobi.

Last week, Ipoa released a damning report blaming police for harassment, extortion and assault during the operation in Eastleigh.

Its chairman, Macharia Njeru, said the watchdog had singled out 29 police officers whom it would recommend for prosecution.