Principals and their deputies will now be required to hold a Masters degree in Education while teachers and their deputies will be required to hold a Bachelors degree in Education, the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) has announced.
Chief Executive Officer Nancy Macharia further said that Primary school heads, secondary and college principals will not serve in one institution for over nine years.
Deputy heads will not also be allowed to work in the same institution for more than six years.
TSC has also banned localisation of teachers in the aim of avoiding a conflict of interest.
On Monday, Education CS Fred Matiang’i dissolved boards of primary and secondary schools sharing a compound and said they will have one principal and two deputies.
“The move will occasion harmony and synergy in the utilisation of resources and infrastructure facilities, some of which lie defunct because resources are duplicated, and institutions compartmentalised, creating non-functional facilities,” he said.
Summary of the ‘new’ reforms to look-up to in 2018
- Heads will not serve in one institution for over nine years,
- Deputy heads will not work in the same institution for more than six years.
- Teachers to work far away from their homes.
- Head teachers and their deputies will henceforth be required to hold a Bachelors degree in Education.
- For principals and their deputies, they must hold Masters Degree in Education
- Primary and secondary schools sharing a compound shall have one board of management, one head and two deputies.
- Co-curricular activities condensed to a maximum timeline of 2 weeks with first term featuring drama, music and science and engineering fair. Ball matches and soccer to be staged in second term. A circular to this effect is yet to be released.
- The government shall supply all text books to schools, directly; as opposed to the current system where schools receive textbook monies and make own procurements.
- School heads and deputies shall not be demoted, as a disciplinary measure,
- The 8-4-4 education system to be scraped