125,449 students to join public universities

Written By: Margaret Kalekye
288

Universities have declared a capacity of 193,878, which is enough to absorb all those who met the minimum requirement for admission to degree programmes

All 125,449 students who sat last year’s KCSE exam and attained a mean grade of C+ and above will join local public universities against a declared capacity of 193,878.

KBC Radio_KICD Timetable

The announcement puts to rest speculations that the Ministry of Education was reportedly mulling over pushing the government to raise cut-off points in a bid to sponsor a manageable number of students.

Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service, KUCCPS on Monday announced that a total of 688,928 qualified for placement to tertiary institutions at various levels under Government sponsorship.

“Universities have declared a capacity of 193,878, which is enough to absorb all those who met the minimum requirement for admission to degree programmes and are willing to pursue courses in Universities,” said KUCCPS CEO Dr John Muraguri in a statement.

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153

Consequently, KUCCPS has opened its online student portal for application and revision of courses with the process closing Monday, March 9, 2020, at 5.00 pm.

Also Read  Churches empty as Kenyans celebrate palm Sunday at home

All is not lost for 563,479 who scored C and below for they stand a chance to join Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) institutions.

Of these, 350,000 students will be placed in the TVET institutions that are under the Ministry of Education while the remaining 38pc will be absorbed by other training institutions countrywide.

Also Read  Kilifi Deputy Governor arrested for defying self-quarantine order

“The capacity is enough to absorb 62% of the candidates who qualified for TVET. The Board noted that there are several other TVET institutions offering training opportunities where the remaining 38 % can be absorbed” he said.

Candidates can visit the placement Service website www.kuccps.ac.ke. 

KUCCPS has set up desks in the following institutions below to advise and support applicants.

  • Baringo Technical College Baringo
  • Bomet University College Bomet
  • Kibabii University Bungoma
  • University of Embu Embu
  • Tom Mboya University College Homa Bay
  • Uhuru Vocational Training College Isiolo
  • Umma University Kajiado
  • Sigalagala National Polytechnic Kakamega
  • Kenya Highlands Evangelical University Kericho
  • Kabete National Polytechnic Kiambu
  • Pwani University Kilifi
  • Kisii National Polytechnic Kisii
  • Kisumu National Polytechnic Kisumu
  • Kenya Water Institute Kitui
  • Laikipia North Technical and Vocational College Laikipia
  • Machakos University of Technology Machakos
  • Wote Technical Training Institute Makueni
  • Laisamis Technical and Vocational College Marsabit
  • Meru National Polytechnic Meru
  • Siala Technical Training Institute Migori
  • Kenya Coast National Polytechnic Mombasa
  • Rift Valley Institute of Science and Technology Nakuru
  • Maasai Mara University Narok
  • Ol’lessos Technical Training Institute Nandi
  • Nyandarua Institute of Technology Nyandarua
  • Nyeri National Polytechnic Nyeri
  • Laikipia University, Maralal Campus Samburu
  • Siaya Institute of Technology Siaya
  • Taita Taveta University Taita Taveta
  • Kitale National Polytechnic Trans Nzoia
  • Eldoret National Polytechnic Uasin Gishu
Also Read  Government extends ban on international flights by 30 days
KBC-You-tube-728x90-New-2

Tell Us What You Think


SHARE