Gratitude turns what we have into enough.
Every fourth Thursday of November, the national holiday of Thanksgiving is celebrated in the United States. The holiday began as a day where people took the opportunity of giving thanks for the blessing of the harvest and of the preceding year. It was first celebrated in the year 1621 and since then has been adopted by many other countries such as Canada, Liberia, Philippines, Grenada and St Lucia.
Even though the holiday tradition hasn’t been adopted here in Kenya, there isn’t a reason we cannot commemorate it in our hearts. We take so many things for granted and only realize what we had once it’s lost/gone. Do not allow a bad attitude to steal away life’s joys from you. Whether you believe in a deity, the cosmos or the universe, take a few moments today to be grateful.
Here is a list of things to express gratitude for today:
- For the family that raised us and that that we have built for ourselves
- Friends. They are the family we get to choose.
- Health. Such an important thing to be thankful for. Not many are fortunate enough to wake up well and kicking.
- For food and nourishment. If you have surplus, do share with those that lack. Too many people in the world go to bed hungry.
- For a roof over your head. If you have a place to call home, consider yourself lucky. Express your gratitude by donating to organizations that provide homes for the homeless.
- For your job. No matter how small or menial you feel it is, your job puts food on the table, right?
- The small pleasures of life; a beautiful sunrise, tasty food, your favorite TV show, a refreshing drink..
- For life’s setbacks. Yes. It is because of these that you are stronger and wiser.
- For life. You are here, in this day and in this moment. you matter.
- For all your functioning five senses. Your sense of sight, sense of taste, sense of hearing, sense of smell, and sense of touch.
- For happiness. Remember laughter is the best medicine
- For sadness. Without it, you would not know what happiness feels like.
- For mother nature. We live in a beautiful world, don’t we?
- For the internet. We are lucky to live in a time when communication and connection is instantaneous.
- For technology. The impossible has been made possible.
- For the kindness of strangers. How many times has the warmth of a stranger improved and even made your day? Remember to pass the kindness forward.
- For music. Music is a global language,
- For your mind. It allows you to solve problems, invent solutions and store memories.
- For growth. Hopefully you are not who you were yesterday and will be a different person tomorrow (in a positive aspect of course).
- For YOU. You are here for a purpose. You matter. Touch a heart today and that will be your legacy.