Busia County Commissioner, Joseph Kanyiri has cautioned local residents against crossing over to the neighbouring country of Uganda.
The move follows a consensus by the two Governments not to allow citizens from Countries that have confirmed cases of coronavirus to set a foot on their land.
Addressing the press at Busia One Stop Border Post (OSBP) on Sunday, Kanyiri said that movement of persons between the two countries would be restricted for the next 30 days.
“We want to inform the residents that the border is closed to human traffic,” he said, adding that nobody would be able to gain entry to both sides of the border.
He advised those who have booked their tickets to travel to Kampala, Uganda to terminate their journeys wherever they were lest they became stranded in Busia.
“Our neighbours have reported one case so far and they now fall under the countries that have reported COVID 19 cases,” he said.
The CC, however, explained that trucks ferrying goods to and from Uganda would continue to transit the border points with only the driver and his conductor on board.
“We urge the drivers not to get any passenger and purport that he is the conductor,’ he said, adding that on their return, they shall be required to fill mandatory self-quarantine forms at the port health facility.
Kanyiri explained that the measures were in the best interest of both Kenyan and Ugandan citizens aimed at keeping the coronavirus at bay.
He denied allegations that a section of the residents had been harassed and arrested by the Ugandan police officers after allegedly crossing the border last evening.