US election security officials reject Trump’s fraud claims

US federal election officials have said the 2020 White House vote was the “most secure in American history”, rejecting President Donald Trump’s fraud claims.

“There is no evidence that any voting system deleted or lost votes, changed votes, or was in any way compromised,” a committee announced.

They spoke out after Mr Trump claimed without proof that 2.7 million votes for him had been “deleted”.

He has yet to concede to the president-elect, Democrat Joe Biden.

The result of the 3 November election was projected by all the major US TV networks last weekend.

The BBC now projects that Mr Biden has won Arizona, extending his lead by 11 electoral college votes – he now has 290, with Mr Trump on 217. It is the first time the state has voted Democrat since 1996.

Also Read
Mehbooba Mufti: India frees top Kashmir politician after 14 months

Mr Trump has launched a flurry of legal challenges to projected results in key states and levelled unsubstantiated allegations of widespread electoral fraud.

The announcement marks the most direct rebuttal from federal and state officials of President Trump’s unsubstantiated claims of election fraud.

Thursday’s joint statement was released by the Election Infrastructure Government Co-ordinating Council- which is made up of senior officials from the Department of Homeland Security and the US Election Assistance Commission as well as state-level officials who oversee elections and representatives of the voting machine industry.

“The November 3rd election was the most secure in American history. Right now, across the country, election officials are reviewing and double checking the entire election process prior to finalizing the result,” the group said.

Also Read
Joe Biden vows to 'unify' country in victory speech

“While we know there are many unfounded claims and opportunities for misinformation about the process of our elections, we can assure you we have the utmost confidence in the security and integrity of our elections, and you should too,” it added, without naming Mr Trump directly.

“When you have questions, turn to elections officials as trusted voices as they administer elections.”

The statement was posted to the website of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (Cisa), which is part of the Department of Homeland Security.

On Thursday, Mr Krebs shared a post by an election law expert that said: “Please don’t retweet wild and baseless claims about voting machines, even if they’re made by the president.”

Also Read
Protests erupt across Italy over Covid measures

Cisa assistant director Bryan Ware stepped down on Thursday. The White House had asked for his resignation earlier this week, Reuters reports. Mr Krebs expects to be fired, the news agency says.

Hours before the statement was released, Mr Trump tweeted that voting software used in 28 states had deleted millions of votes for him, but presented no evidence for the stunning claim, which appeared to originate from the obscure TV network One America News.

The claim was linked to miscounting of votes in one Michigan county which initially favoured Mr Biden but was later corrected in President Trump’s favour on 6 November. State election officials acknowledged what had happened, saying human error was to blame, rather than a software malfunction.

 

  

Latest posts

UN: Ethiopia mass killings could be war crimes

Beth Nyaga

Biden takes Georgia to solidify victory

Beth Nyaga

US election: Obama says fraud claims undermining democracy

Muraya Kamunde

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More