The European Union has granted the Water Sector Trust Fund Ksh 6.5 billion to finance water projects across the country, the fund’s Chief Executive Officer, Ismail Fahmy Shaiye, has said.
Shaiye said the money would be distributed to all water companies in Kenya to implement projects especially in rural areas that have had perennial water shortages.
Speaking in Bamba Ward, Ganze Constituency where Kilifi Governor Amason Jeffa Kingi launched a Ksh 100 million water pipeline from Bamba to Shingaro within the ward, Shaiye said the projects were being implemented in conjunction with county governments.
In the arrangements, the water sector trust fund will avail 87 per cent of the finances to the companies while the county governments will contribute the remaining 13 per cent to implement specific projects.
In Kilifi County, the trust fund will distribute a total of Ksh 145 million to the Kilifi/Mariakani Water and Sewerage Company (Ksh 100 million) and the Malindi Water and Sewerage Company (Ksh 45 million) to implement the Bamba-Shingaro and Kadzanani-Marereni water projects in Ganze and Magarini sub-counties respectively.
Shaiye urged the contractor laying the 43-kilometre Bamba-Shingaro water pipeline to hasten the work so that the county may qualify for the funding of the Kadzanani-Marereni project.
Speaking at the Roma ra Pera dispensary after officially launching the Bamba-Shingaro project, Governor Kingi thanked the European Union and the Water Sector Trust Fund for the grants, adding that his administration was committed to end water crises in the county in conjunction with partners.
He said the project would also entail the construction of water kiosks along the Bamba-Shingaro pipeline to enable residents to get water without problems.
The County Executive Committee Member for Water, Karisa Kiringi Mwachitu, said the county government would also implement major water projects in Magarini and Kaloleni sub counties, which he said had serious water shortages.
His sentiments were echoed by Water Chief Officer Kenneth Kazungu, who said the projects would greatly help residents who have for many years lacked water for domestic use.
Ganze Member of Parliament, Teddy Mwambire urged residents, school administrators and those in charge of dispensaries to invest in roof catchments by putting building water tanks and putting gutters on roofs.
He said he had, through the National Government Constituency Development Fund supplied more than 20 water tanks in schools in the constituency and called on the county government and well-wishers to do the same.
Residents of Rima ra Pera area who talked to journalists termed the Bamba-Shingaro water project as a groundbreaking milestone as they had suffered for a long time looking for water from water pans, which often dry due to severe drought that has persisted for long in the area.