The Government has banned movement in and out of Mandera County for 21 days.
Health CS Mutahi Kagwe says the region has been declared a COVID-19 hotspot after Nairobi, Mombasa, Kwale and Kilifi counties.
” Today, we have looked at the unfolding situation in Mandera County. So far the County has eight cases, the latest being two cases of urban refugees. As part of containment measures, the government has today directed restriction of movement in and out of Mandera County. The county therefore become the fifth county where movement has been restricted.” He said.
Meanwhile, Cabinet Secretary for Interior and Coordination of National Government Fred Matiang’i has declared cessation of movement by air and road into and out of Mandera County from 7pm commencing today (Wednesday).
In a statement, the CS says this follows the escalation of community based infections in the county and on account of the classification of the county as an infected area.
He said he chaired a special Session of the National Security Advisory Committee which sanctioned the cessation as an additional measure to contain the spread of the Coronavirus disease.
“Further, His Excellency the President has directed the National Command Centre on the Coronavirus Pandemic to immediately review the enforcement of public health measures rolled out to stem the growing rate of infection in the counties of Mombasa, Kwale and Kilifi with a view to introducing more stringent measures to enhance the enforcement of the same. The results of this review will be announced in the next 48 hours.” He added.
Last week, a bus plying the Nairobi- Mandera route was intercepted with 60 passengers. The Macca bus is believed to have bypassed roadblocks mounted by security officers from Nairobi to Mandera town even as the cessation of movement from Nairobi is in effect.
Kenya has confirmed 7 more cases of the Coronavirus, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 303.
” All of the seven are Kenyans. Six from Mombasa and one from Nairobi. Six are from the targeted mass testing and one was picked by our surveillance teams. With regard to gender, five are males and two females. They are aged between 21-61 years. None has a recent history of travel. Said CS Kagwe in Wednesday briefing.
” I am glad to inform you that nine patients have recovered and discharged. We now have a total of 83 recoveries. ” He added.