Govt urged to intervene in ending Maasai Mara human-wildlife conflicts

The community living around the Maasai Mara game reserve has called upon the Narok County government to do a proper management plan of the world famous tourist destination to end the increasing cases of human-wildlife conflicts.

Led by a renown Maasai environmentalist, Meitamei Ole Dapash, the community observed that people were losing lives as well as their domestic animals to wildlife attacks, a situation that would be contained if there was proper management of the game reserve.

Ole Dapash alleged that only 35 percent of the wildlife was living in the game reserve leaving rest of the 65 percent to loiter around the community thus causing harm to the members of the community.

The vocal environmentalist who hails from the area lamented that the community was paying a huge price of living with the wildlife.

Ole Dapash called on both levels of government to fast track compensation to the affected families saying the compensation takes many years to be implemented hence delaying justice to the victims of wildlife attacks.

Another resident Peter Ole Narok explained how he witnessed a young boy get killed and the whole body eaten by lions in January this year.

He reiterated that the Maasai community has been taking care of the wild animals since time in memorial but required support from the government to help in controlling the movement of the animals.

Ole Narok also asked the county government to station ambulances in various points around the game reserve to help in transporting any victim of animal attack to the hospital.

The sentiments come at a time when a man was attacked by a lion and three cows killed in Talek area three days ago.

The man is recuperating at the Narok County Referral Hospital.

According to data from Kenya Wildlife Services(KWS) the three most common conflict types are crop raiding and attacks on human. Human wildlife conflicts are usually at peak during the wet season when crops are mature.

  

Latest posts

Homa Bay to Benefit from Ksh150 million Maternity Wing

Hunja Macharia

West Pokot County fetes Mashujaa day heroes

Hunja Macharia

12 arrested in Narok as police nab bhang worth Ksh 500,000

Hunja Macharia

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More