Govt urged to declare desert locusts invasion a national disaster

Written By: Kamche Menza
805

Kiunjuri urged to prevent the locust invasion from spreading

Pressure is now mounting on the government to declare the desert locusts invasion a national disaster.

KBC Radio_KICD Timetable

Mandera Governor Ali Roba says the move now appears plausible in light of increasing concern over incursion of a fresh swarm of the deadly pests from neighbouring Somalia.

Mandera County spotted the first swarm of locusts, and area Governor Ali Roba claims the little effort is being made by the government to contain the pest, noting that the county is glaring at new invasions of a fresh swarm from neighbouring Somalia.

Also Read  Two arrested in Samburu over illegal sandalwood trade

Roba who says the attack needs a multi-sectoral approach, the manual spraying in the county is moving at a very slow speed.

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153

Latest reports indicate that the invasion that has badly hit parts of Northern Kenya has so far ravaged 7 counties.

Also Read  Governor Nanok calls for lasting peace solution in the region

Mandera, Wajir, Isiolo, Meru, Laikipia, Samburu and Marsabit leaving a trail of destruction.

On Monday, panic and fear gripped farmers in Kirinyaga County after some insects suspected to be desert locusts were spotted in the area.

Also Read  Narok leaders pledge to support learning institutions ahead of planned re-opening

Farmers in the area say the insects have rapidly spread on their crops.

However, the insects are yet to be confirmed whether it is a swarm of locusts.

The Ministry of Agriculture announced mitigation measures are in place to contain the invasion.

KBC-You-tube-728x90-New-2

Tell Us What You Think