Patients seeking health services at Busia County Referral Hospital were frustrated after they failed to get treatment following a strike by health service providers.
A visit by KNA at the facility revealed desperate patients in long queues with nobody to serve them.
An 89-year-old, Jared Ijakaa, who had been referred to the facility from Kocholya Health Centre for further treatment expressed disappointment at the turn of events.
“We came here at 9.00 am only to be told that the strike began at midnight,” he said.
Winnie Esnas from Burumba who had brought her child for treatment lamented that no services were being provided.
Esnas appealed to Busia Governor Sospeter Ojaamong to address issues affecting the health workers in order to resume duties.
“When I reached the gate, I was told to line up but so far nothing is happening,” she said.
Anne Nafula from Matayos constituency reiterated that Governor Ojaamong should address the grievances of the health workers, especially during this COVID-19 pandemic.
Busia County Secretary-General for Kenya National Union of Nurses Philemon Nakoche insisted that the strike will continue as planned because the County administration had not addressed their grievances.
“On Friday, Ojaamong promised that some of the health staff will be promoted but a section of those who qualified for promotion visited his office Monday morning but there were no letters,’ he said.
The more than 1,000 workers issued a strike notice last week citing delayed promotions, arbitrary transfers, and lack of PPEs among other grievances.