The health workers’ strike in Kisumu County has entered day six as hospitals remain deserted and patients are left on their own.
The more than 3,000 health workers, including doctors, are demanding prompt payment of salaries, implementation of promotions and payment of COVID-19 hazard allowances.
They have vowed to stay put until their demands are met.
Patients in most public hospitals have been discharged and others asked to seek alternative medical services in private facilities.
Governor Anyang Nyong’o had directed that the names of striking workers be deleted from the county’s payroll if they failed to report back to work by Friday last week.
The Kenya National Union of Nurses branch secretary for Kisumu Maurice Opetu however said the governor cannot affect the sack because the county government is in contempt of court and the strike legal.
The governor Press Unit director Aloice Ager on Sunday said the county was concerned with ensuring hospitals remain open and operational.