Ugh. Here’s one more thing we need worry about: Turns out hair ties on the wrist could be a seriously bad move. WGAL is reporting that a woman in Kentucky who put a hair tie around her wrist was treated for a life-threatening infection. Yikes.
Audree Kopp was in the midst of home move when she noticed a bump growing on her wrist. She originally assumed it was a spider bite, but it just kept growing.
“It just kept getting bigger, and redder, and worse,” Kopp tells CBS 3.
She went to her doctor and was immediately put on a round of antibiotics, but the bump kept growing. She returned and was put into surgery to remove the large abscess on the back of her wrist.
Her doctor, Dr. Amit Gupta of Louisville, Kentucky’s Norton Healthcare, believes the infection was caused by bacteria from Kopp’s hair tie getting under her skin (through pores and hair follicles).
“Be careful. You can’t tie all those hair ties around the wrist,” says Dr. Gupta. “It can cause problems with the skin. It can cause infection.”
Thankfully, Kopp’s infection was caught in time before it could’ve lead to worse: sepsis.
“It could have been a whole different ball game,” she says. “Once it gets into your bloodstream, people have been known to go into a coma, your body shuts down. It could have been worse.”
While the infection Kopp had is rare, to help prevent this from happening to you, CBS 3 says doctors say hair ties should be worn lose around wrists, and removed and cleaned often.