Inquest into Baby Pendo’s death concludes, ruling in February

The ruling on an inquest to establish the killers of Baby Samantha Pendo will be given on February 14 2019.

Kisumu Senior resident magistrate Beryl Omollo requested the counsels representing various parties for sufficient time to comb through the evidence presented in court.

The inquest came to a close on Thursday after the last two witnesses gave their testimonies.

The six-month-old died in August last year after she was reportedly clobbered on the head by police in her parents’ house in Nyalenda estate in Kisumu.

The officers were quelling chaos that rocked the lakeside city after President Uhuru Kenyatta was declared winner of the August 8 presidential election.

Government Chemist Joseph Gitonga gave his report on the exhibits provided to him by the Independent Policing Oversight Authority investigator, including a teargas canister.

Counsels said the police service should be held responsible for Pendo’s murder since it could not identify the individuals responsible.

Richard Onsongo, for the Law Society of Kenya, said the police service is liable since the blunt object used to clobber Pendo belonged to the institution.

  

Latest posts

Kenya requires 2M Ha to achieve 10pc forest cover by 2025

Beth Nyaga

Western MPs call for unity ahead of President Uhuru Kenyatta’s visit

Margaret Kalekye

21 year old arrested in possession of bhang worth Ksh 800,000

Beth Nyaga

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More