Jubilee MPs take on Raila for linking first family to health ‘scam’

401

KBC-survey-feedback-poster

By Eric Biegon/Margaret Kalekye

Political leaders drawn from Jubilee have turned their guns on CORD leader Raila Odinga for linking President Uhuru Kenyatta’s family with alleged loss of 5 billion shillings at the ministry of health.

The mixed reactions continue even as civil society groups vowed to Wednesday hold protests at Afya House in Nairobi to demand the resignation of Health Principal Secretary Nicholas Muraguri.

The National Civil Society Congress wants Dr Muraguri to take responsibility for the reported loss of Sh5.2 billion from the Ministry of Health.

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153

The Jubilee luminaries wondered why the opposition leader has a problem with Kenyatta’s relatives transacting business with government whereas the Odinga family has been the greatest beneficiary of government tenders.

Also Read  Inmates, patients included in 2019 population census

The lawmakers insist that it is hard to tell whether money has been lost at this point in time since the allegations are based on an interim audit report.

The MPs wondered why Odinga invoked the family of President Kenyatta into the saga.

In their opinion, Odinga does not stand moral ground to comment on award of government tenders since his family is the greatest beneficiary.

Also Read  Nairobi residents will soon say goodbye to water problems

The MPs maintain that the head of state is committed to the fight against corruption even as they called on Kenyans of goodwill to soldier behind government’s efforts to unravel the truth in the claims at the ministry of health.

Health CS defends companies linked to alleged KSh5B ‘scam’

Health cabinet secretary Dr Cleopa Mailu has maintained that no money was lost as claimed. However, Mailu revealed that he would appoint an independent auditor to re-evaluate the draft audit report that leaked to the public.

The report, leaked to the media last week, alleges that more than Sh5 billion has been looted in dubious payouts at the ministry. “We shall invite a private audit firm of international repute to conduct further independent evaluation of interim audit report,” said the CS.

Also Read  Personal data will be safe, Kenyans assured by CS Mucheru

The CS also dismissed as unfounded claims that companies reportedly linked to relatives of President Uhuru Kenyatta were favoured, saying all the tender processes were above board supplied the goods as agreed.

He further said according to the ethics act, the mentioned companies had no conflict of interest.

 

 

 

 

KBC-You-tube-728x90-New-2

Tell Us What You Think


SHARE