Agriculture Cabinet Secretary Mwangi Kiunjuri has decried the slow pace in which investigative agencies are taking in arresting and prosecuting maize theft suspects.
Speaking at Kalalu Catholic Church on Sunday during a fund raiser, Kiunjuri said he has already forwarded the names of the suspects to the necessary offices.
“I gave the names in March this year and again two weeks ago. I have not seen the DCI and EACC arresting and prosecuting the culprits” said Kiunjuri.
Kiunjuri said he was handed over the docket in February this year where Sh7 billion had been paid to ‘farmers’ adding that President Uhuru Kenyatta has reprimanded him twice in public against paying maize cartels.
The CS said from next week, the government will begin buying maize directly from farmers through aggregated centers near their farms.
“No more taking maize to National Cereals and Produce Board warehouse where the thieves are waiting for it to steal,” said Kiunjuri.
Local leaders in Laikipia who included deputy governor John Mwaniki, Woman representative Catherine Waruguru and Laikipia North legislator Sarah Lekorere defended Kiunjuri saying he assumed office long after the maize scandal.
Mwaniki said Kenyans should support President Uhuru Kenyatta in his bid to find graft so that he can create an enabling environment for all to thrive and achieve his ‘big four’ agenda.
Laikipia North legislator urged the necessary investigate bodies move with haste and arrest the prime suspects in the maize scam, urging local leaders to support Kiunjuri since he was one of their own.
The leaders who included four MCAs and Speaker Patrick Waigwa attributed the attack on Kiunjuri as politically instigated.