KUPPET throws weight behind CBC training for teachers

100

Already, the government has started training 91,320 teachers
KBC-survey-feedback-poster

The Kenya Union of Post Primary Education Teachers (KUPPET) has thrown its weight behind the ongoing competence-based curriculum training.

In a statement to the newsroom, KUPPET Deputy Secretary General Moses Nthurima said unions in the education sector were involved in the Douglas Odhiambo taskforce that was tasked to align education sector to the constitution, whose recommendations informed the introduction of the new syllabus.

Nthurima said if the education sector is to move all stakeholders in the education sector should respect the rule of law saying teachers should not be stopped from attending induction sessions because learning is a lifelong process.

“From the onset, I want to be categorical that we in post-primary teachers’ union support the rollout of competence based curriculum and the induction of teachers in regards to the curriculum,” he said.

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 22163

He said the implementation of competence-based curriculum will help children to acquire competence based knowledge so that the idea of joblessness is dealt with completely in the country.

Also Read  Six notorious criminals arrested in Kilimani

“We need a curriculum where our children will acquire competence based knowledge so that the idea of joblessness is dealt with once and for all.in countries like China and Finland where the competence-based curriculum was embraced longtime children’s abilities are identified at the early stages and therefore development is tangible”.

Also Read  President Kenyatta holds talks with EU's Federica Mogherini 

KUPPET is now demanding the education ministry awards those who are being trained with certificates for purposes of future promotions.

Education CS George Magoha insists that the roll-out of the training will continue amid protests from the giant teachers union KNUT.

On Wednesday last week, KNUT Secretary General Wilson Sossion termed the training as “a violation of the law”.

“The law requires an exercise of such magnitude must have guidelines and a gazetted commission to anchor the entire process. Besides, the due process of reforming the content of the curriculum was never followed to the letter, hence making the exercise illegal,” Sossion had said.

TSC boss Nancy Macharia on Tuesday maintained that the training will sharpen the skills of teachers, and already a huge turnout has been witnessed in over 1000 zones.

Also Read  Govt determined to get all children in school, President Kenyatta says

Several teachers have been arrested for disrupting the exercise in the wake of a stern warning by police.

Inspector General of Police Hillary Mutyambai has directed County and Sub-County commanders to ensure the four-day training launched on Tuesday this week goes on uninterrupted.

Already, the government has started training 91,320 teachers while another group will undergo the same exercise in August, totalling more than 228,000.

The government hopes to enrol the curriculum among Grade 4 pupils by 2020.

The country is transiting from the 8-4-4 to the 2-6-3-3-3 education system.

 

 

 

KBC-You-tube-728x90-New-2

Tell Us What You Think


SHARE