The government has moved to assure over the safety of learners in the wake of increased Covid-19 infections in the country.
Education cabinet secretary Professor George Magoha says his ministry and that of health are working around the clock to ensure all learners are safe even as he said he will be holding a meeting with education stakeholders to chart the way forward.
“The ministries of Education and that of health are working in partnership to ensure the safety of children. We are set to meet as stakeholders soon. We might be bold enough to tell you when schools will re-open” said the CS.
According to Magoha, the public should not be worried by the fact that some schools have suspended learning after recording positive Covid-19 cases. Magoha saying the government is not planning to interrupt the calendar for those already in school following the partial re-opening of schools.
This even as he called on those with children in boarding schools to clear fee balances notwithstanding the current economic challenges resulting from the coronavirus pandemic, in an effort to help school administrations sustain their operations.
The assurance by the education cabinet secretary coming amid rising concerns over a surge in positive cases that has seen some schools suspend operations over Covid-19 fears. Education principal secretary Dr. Belio Kipsang had on Wednesday during a session with the national assembly’s education committee indicated that at least 35 schools across the country had reported cases since learning institutions partially re-opened earlier this month.
President Kenyatta is next Wednesday scheduled to chair the sixth extraordinary session of the national and county governments Co-ordinating summit to review the resurgence of Covid-19 infections in the country at a time the country recorded its highest number of Covid-19 monthly fatalities in October.