Former president Michel Platini said his “conscience is clear” as he spoke to European football’s governing body for what is likely to be the last time.
Platini, 61, was last year banned from football activity for breaching ethics rules over a £1.3m “disloyal payment”.
Earlier this week, world governing body Fifa gave the Frenchman permission to speak at Wednesday’s meeting in Athens, at which Uefa will elect his successor.
“I am certain that I committed not the slightest fault,” said Platini.
“I am continuing to fight legally. Just simply know that my conscience is clear.
“You are going to continue this beautiful mission without me, for reasons that I do not wish to come back on.”
Uefa will name its new president – either Slovenian FA president Aleksander Ceferin or Dutch FA boss Michael van Praag – later on Wednesday.
Why is Platini banned from football?
The ethics committee of world governing body Fifa handed down an initial eight-year ban for Platini and Fifa’s then-president Sepp Blatter last year.
It related to a payment of 2m Swiss Francs Blatter made to the Frenchman in 2011.
The two have always denied wrongdoing and said the payment was made for consultancy work Platini carried out for Blatter between 1998 and 2002, and that they had a “gentleman’s agreement” on when the balance was settled.
But the ethics committee ruled the pair had demonstrated an “abusive execution” of their positions.
Charges included conflict of interest, false accounting and non-co-operation, with investigators submitting a file of more than 50 pages.
The bans were later reduced to six years on appeal to Fifa, then four years in a further appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
The issue is still under investigation by Swiss prosecutors.