Out of 689,007 students who sat for 2019 Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) examination, only 125, 463 students who attained mean grades of C+ were be eligible for placement to university as government-sponsored students.
The remaining 563,544 were eligible for placement to TVET programmes at Diploma, Craft Certificate and Artisan Certificate levels.
This was said by Education CS George Magoha’s Tuesday during the release of the 2020/2021 placement of Government-sponsored students to universities and colleges at Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD).
He noted that the placement of students to universities targeted the 2019 KCSE examination group, while the placement to TVET institutions targeted both the 2019 group and youth from previous examination years dating back to 1994.
The placement was done by the Ministry of Education, through the Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS).
With regard to available capacities, he said the universities declared 145,129 vacancies for government sponsored students, while TVET Institutions declared 276,163.
“Following the successful completion of the placement process, 122,831 candidates have secured placement to degree courses in universities while 88,724 got placed in TVET institutions. Of those placed in TVET, 53,726 will be admitted to Diploma; 29,112 to Craft Certificate and 5,886 to Artisan Certificate courses.” He said.
He noted that the TVET number is expected to increase once the Ministry receives returns from institutions where students may have registered directly and that the Placement Service undertakes continuous placement of students to TVET institutions, which will further grow the enrolment.
A gender analysis of the placement to degree courses indicate that 70,050 (57.03%) are male and 52,781 (42.97%) female.
In TVET, the male students are 39,695 (44.74%) while the female students are 49,029 (55.26%).
He was pleased to report that 2,632 candidates who scored C+ and above in the 2019 KCSE examination and qualified for placement to Degree programmes opted for Diploma courses in TVET institutions, and were placed appropriately.
“This number has been growing over time. In 2019, the number was 1,269. The growing number of these “TVET Champions” is a clear indication that concerted efforts to improve enrolment in TVET courses are yielding fruits.” He reported.
He said that pursuant to the Universities Act, 2012 and the Placement Policy, the Placement Service applied Affirmative Action criteria for applicants living with disabilities, those from marginalised regions and for gender with 331 applicants with disabilities have been given their top priority courses for which they met the minimum admission requirements.
In addition, specific programmes cut-off points he said were lowered by two for applicants from marginalised regions, and 1,638 benefited.
A similar concession benefited 679 applicants under Gender Affirmative Action (624 female, 55 male). The total number of applicants who have benefited from Affirmative Action are therefore 2,648.
“This year’s placement data indicates that of the 122,831 applicants placed to Degree courses, 66,661 (54.27%) will join Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) programmes, which are critical for producing skilled workforce required for the attainment of the “Big Four” Agenda. The remaining 56,170 (45.73%) have been placed to Arts and Humanities. ”
Of the applicants placed to STEM, 42,267 (63.41%) are male while 24,394 (36.59%) are female.
He noted that some degree programmes in some universities did not attract applicants and he directed the universities offering those programmes to establish why they are not attractive and implement corrective measures.
Students as well as universities and colleges can access the placement details through their respective portals on the Placement Service website. Applicants will also be notified individually through Short Text Messages.
The Placement Service will conduct the Inter-Institution Transfer process online following the laid down procedures while ensuring adherence to timelines for students who may wish to change their programmes and institutions.
Universities and colleges were asked to contact their respective students and give them joining instructions and fast-tract the start of their academic journey given that most universities have continued with online learning during this era of COVID-19 restrictions.