Three Kenyan athletes are among ten athletes who will gun for the World athletics Female Athlete of the year Award.
Peres Jepchirchir, Hellen Ob iri and Faith Chepng’etich made the shortlist announced by World Athletic s ahead of the virtual awards ceremony on Saturday 5th December .
Peres Jepchirchir broke the world half marathon record twice for women only race and also won the world half marathon record .Her stellar season makes her a prime contender.
Olympic 1500m champion Faith Kipyegon is undefeated in five races over all distances she has competed this season .She – ran world-leading performances over 800m (1:57.68) and 1000m (2:29.15).
World 5,000m champion Hellen Obiri completes the Kenyan entry as she will be banking on her exploits in 2020 which she wound undefeated in three races over 3000m and 5000m and ran a world-leading 8:22.54 over 3000m.
Other notable nominees that make up the 10 woman shortlist include:
Laura Muir, Great Britain and Northern Ireland
– undefeated in three 1500m races
– ran a world-leading 3:57.40 over 1500m
Femke Bol, Netherlands
– undefeated in six 400m hurdles races
– ran a world-leading 53.79 in the 400m hurdles
Letesenbet Gidey, Ethiopia
– set a world record of 14:06.62 over 5000m
– was second in the Monaco Diamond League over 5000m
Sifan Hassan, Netherlands
– set a world record of 18,930m in the one hour run
– set a European record of 29:36.67 over 10,000m, the fourth fastest performance in history
Yulimar Rojas, Venezuela
– undefeated in four triple jump competitions indoors and outdoors
– broke the world indoor triple jump record with 15.43m
A three-way voting process will determine the finalists.
The World Athletics Council and the World Athletics Family will cast their votes by email, while fans can vote online via the World Athletics’ social media platforms.
Individual graphics for each nominee will be posted on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram this week; a ‘like’ on Facebook and Instagram or a retweet on Twitter will count as one vote.
Voting for the Female World Athlete of the Year closes at midnight on Sunday 15 November.
At the conclusion of the voting process, five men and five women finalists will be announced by World Athletics.