Places of worship will commence a phased re-opening in strict conformity with all guidelines and self-regulating rules developed by the Inter-Faith Council.
In his address to the Nation, President Uhuru Kenyatta said the Council had recommended that only a maximum of 100 persons shall be allowed at each worship ceremony which should not also last more than one hour
Sunday schools and Madrasa will remain suspended, with congregants under the age of 13 and those above 58 years not be allowed to attend Church service as well as persons with underlying conditions.
The President has further directed the Ministry of Education to notify Kenyans on resumption of the academic calendar.
“Following consultations with stakeholders in the education sector, and cognizant of the surge in the rate of infections, the Ministry of Education shall jointly with all the stakeholders in the sector shall today, not later than tomorrow, notify the public on the resumption of the 2020 Academic Calendar for Basic Education and Tertiary Institutions,” He said.
President Uhuru was clear that the order to re-open is given conditionally.
“Should the situation deteriorate and pose a challenge to our health infrastructure, it shall be ‘clawed back’. In the next 21 days, we shall study patterns of interactions and the spread of the disease. Any trends that signal a worsening of the pandemic, we will have no choice but to return to the lock-down at zero-option,” he said.
Uhuru said that according to experts as a Country we have not met the irreducible minimums at 100%, but we have however reached a reasonable level of preparedness across our Counties.
The President was accompanied by CS Health Mutahi Kagwe, CS Education George Magoha, COG Chairman Wycliffe Oparanya as well as religious leaders who had earlier presented their report to the Cabinet Secretaries.