Red Cross to construct houses for flood victims in 28 counties

1588

KBC-survey-feedback-poster

Over 6,600 households in 28 counties affected by floods are set to benefit from houses constructed by Kenya Red Cross Society.

Kenya Red Cross Secretary General Abbas Gullet says out of the one billion shillings allocated by the national government to the society, 600 million shillings has been   set aside for the reconstruction of houses.

The reconstruction to be facilitated by the Sh. 1 billion funds allocated by the national government will be done on higher grounds away from the lower zones which are prone to floods.

About 40,000 people who lost their household property during the disaster that hit the country in April this year will benefit from the program.

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153

Speaking during the construction of the programme in Garashi Magarini Sub County the Secretary General said out of the Sh. 1 billion, the KRCS set aside Sh. 600 million for the reconstruction of houses.

Also Read  The weatherman warns of heavy rains

He said they spent Sh. 100 million on Water while Sh. 70 million was used for water provision to the flood victims and the rest was spent on other issues.

“We have begun phase two of the process of assisting the flood victims to go to their home, we are reconstruction their houses to enable them have better homes,’’ he said.

In Magarini 1,223 families will benefit in the program that shall see each one getting 20 iron sheets, five ridges and 25 bags of cement.

Also Read  CS Mucheru picks Media Council of Kenya new board

On Thursday, the flood victims received the iron sheets and ridges to do roofing to their houses before the cement is dispatched.

Gullet said the victims identified their own land which is where construction is going on in the upper areas to avoid being swept away by floods again in future.

“Our target is to ensure all houses are completed before the heavy rains expected this season,’’ he said.

He said the funds allocated by President Uhuru Kenyatta will be utilized well to ensure it reaches the victims who lost their property during the disaster.

However he said once complete all the houses shall be branded with a government mark to as a sign of appreciation.

Masha Nyanje Ziro 71 who lost everything when the floods disaster hit the area said this was the worst since he was born.

Also Read  Ministry of Health calls for improved data collection in fight against diabetes

Ziro said he bought a quarter an acre at Sh. 50,000 and had already begun building a structure to live there permanently.

“I cannot go back to live in the former home, I have 11 children and nine grandchildren and will only  go there to do farming,’’ she said.

Patience Bahati another victim said they appreciate the support from the national government through the Kenya Red Cross and called on the authorities to consider building bigger houses to accommodate the larger families.

She said the current houses were one bedroom and a sitting room which cannot fit for most families which consist of parents and children.

KBC-You-tube-728x90-New-2

Tell Us What You Think