Republicans condemn Trump obscenities


www.bbc.com

By BBC/Evelyne Wareh

KBC Radio_KICD Timetable

Senior Republicans have condemned obscene comments Donald Trump made about women in a 2005 videotape.

In the video, posted by the Washington Post, Trump is heard telling TV host Billy Bush “you can do anything” to women “when you’re a star”.

The New York businessman bragged about trying to have sex with a married woman as well as kissing and groping others. Trump later issued an apology: “I said it. I was wrong, I apologise. I pledge to be a better man.”

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153

In a filmed statement on his Facebook page, he added that the videotape was a “distraction” from more important political issues. Earlier on Friday, when the video first emerged, he had dismissed it as “locker room banter” and added “Bill Clinton has said far worse to me”.

Also Read  China-Africa friendship rock-solid despite changing international landscape, Chinese FM says

He renewed his attack on the former president in his Facebook apology.

“I’ve said some foolish things, but there’s a big difference between the words and actions of other people,” he said.

Also Read  Trump takes final swipes at China's big companies

“Bill Clinton has actually abused women. And Hillary has bullied, attacked, shamed and intimidated his victims. We will discuss this more in the coming days.”

After the video became public on Friday evening, senior Republicans were harsh in their condemnation of Trump’s comments. House Speaker Paul Ryan rescinded his invitation to Mr Trump to attend the Republican Fall Fest in his home state of Wisconsin this weekend.

Mr Trump said that his vice-presidential running mate Mike Pence would represent him at the Wisconsin event.

Also Read  Biden unveils $1.9tn US economic relief package

Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell said the comments were “repugnant,” adding that Mr Trump “needs to apologise directly to women and girls everywhere”.

Another senior Republican, John McCain, said there were “no excuses for Donald Trump’s offensive and demeaning comments”. The video has emerged two days before Mr Trump takes part in the second presidential debate with his Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton.

The two candidates will be in St Louis for the televised encounter, with polling day only a month away.

 

KBC-You-tube-728x90-New-2

Tell Us What You Think


SHARE