By James Rono
The rescue operation at the collapsed building in Kisii town has been temporarily halted with the team leader Pius Maasai ruling out any retrieval of more bodies.
In his media update Monday, Maasai says a body marked unknown had been identified at Kisii Teaching and Referral Hospital mortuary bringing the missing people to nil.
This followed authorities’ confirmation that the body was not from the disaster scene but had been removed from a private hospital to pass as that of the victims.
A pile of floor tiles was stumbled upon by the rescue team at the ground floor confirming fears the ill-fated building under construction could have been occupied.
So far eight people have been confirmed to have lost their lives while 44 others were rescued during the operation.
County Director of Criminal Investigations, Justus Burudi said detectives were closing in on the owner of the building who went hiding soon after the incident.