Scores of families rendered homeless after fire guts property

By KBC Reporter

Scores of families have been rendered homeless and property of unknown value destroyed after a fierce fire swept through their dwellings in Mshomoroni area in Mombasa.

Area residents and traders suspect the inferno that started at about 4 AM was caused by an electric fault.

Francis Kambi, a distraught shop owner estimates the blaze could have destroyed 250, 000 shillings in stock.

Nasri Mohamed says residents have suffered massive damages and called for help from well-wishers in rebuilding their lives.

She also appealed for relief materials for the fire victims saying the area was notorious for crime and the displaced families would be exposed to danger if they spend their nights in the cold.

Matano Besora, another resident said the major problem that hampered firefighting efforts was that streets in the area are very congested and narrow, and fire fighters faced great difficulty in accessing the affected area in good time.

  

Latest posts

Court stops excise duty adjustment on petroleum products

Christine Muchira

Govt spokesperson calls for objective reporting during elections

Claire Wanja

Man who killed friend after tiff over fare arrested

Margaret Kalekye

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More