Rescuers at the site of the collapsed building in Ruai have intensified efforts to locate two people feared trapped under the debris.
The ill-fated four storey building came tumbling down early Saturday morning.
Initial reports indicate that at least two people might have been trapped under the rubble.
The building housed a lodging and a spa, with reports indicating that four people were inside the building at the time it went down due to heavy rainfall.
The Kenya Red Cross Society says one person had been rescued and taken to Mama Lucy Hospital, while two people, a male and a female were confirmed trapped in the rubble.
Searching and rescue efforts ongoing in Ruai, Nairobi, following the collapse of a four-storey building. pic.twitter.com/DTlJvyFZkZ
— Kenya Red Cross (@KenyaRedCross) March 17, 2018
Members of the Kenya Red Cross Society, Nairobi County fire brigade, the National Disaster Management Unit and police putting their best foot forward in trying to save the lives.
The building is said to have been earmarked for demolition by the National Construction Authority after cracks started appearing on it but despite a warning by the authority to vacate the building, only a few people heeded while others chose to remain.
The incident comes barely 48 hours after a five storey building under construction in Juja, Nairobi collapsed.
Nairobi county government authorities and police warned residents mostly in the informal settlements to leave houses marked for demolition to avoid disasters.
The increasing collapses have been blamed on the ongoing heavy rains even as construction standards continue to be questioned.
The Kenya Meteorological Service has advised Kenyans to brace for heavier rains over many parts of the country in the next five days.
In a statement, the Meteorological department warned Kenyans to expect heavy rainfall of more than 50mm in the next 24 hours over Western Kenya, Southeastern lowlands, Central Rift Valley and Central Kenya including Nairobi area.
Parts of northern Kenya, Northeastern areas and coastal regions of Kwale, Lamu and northern parts of Tana River will also experience heavy rainfall.
The weatherman says heavy rainfall will continue on Saturday 17th March 2018 over counties in western, south and central Rift Valley, Southeastern, Isiolo and Samburu and Central parts of Kenya including Nairobi.
Counties that will be affected by the heavy deluge include Nairobi, Nyeri, Kiambu, Nyandarua, Muranga, Embu, Meru, Kitui, Machakos, Makueni, Taita Taveta, Kwale Kilifi and Mombasa.
Others are Kisii, Nyamira, Kericho, Bomet, Nakuru, Narok Migori, Nandi, Baringo, Tarans Nzoia, Uasin Gishu Elgeyo Marakwet, Vihiga, Bungoma, Homa Bay, Busia, Kisumu, Siaya, Garissa, Kakamega, Kajiado, Nakuru, Marsabit, Samburu and Isiolo.
The department further cautioned drivers against speeding owing to slippery roads and reduced visibility.
Meanwhile, Nairobi county will spend 32 million shillings to improve drainage infrastructure in areas prone to floods as part of mitigation measures.
Nairobi Governor, Mike Sonko, said the county has also set aside a budget to hire casuals and lease more equipment to deal with the current flooding. Youths will be hired on a casual basis program that will provide a response to emergency issues.
Sonko has also directed Nairobi City Water and Sewerage Company to hasten the process of unlocking the systems all over the county. The floods hotspots include Ruai, Njiru, South C, the Central Business District, Kawangware, Runda, Doonholm, Ridgeways, Thome and Lang’ata.
He said the county is engaging road agencies mainly Kenya Urban Roads Authority, Kenya Rural Roads Authority and Kenya National Highways Authority to ensure drainage systems in projects they are implementing within the City are successful.
The Nairobi City Water and Sewerage Company has also increased surveillance and enhanced its response to blocked sewer lines.