Sonko fails to appear in Voi court, mention pushed to January 2020

Embattled Nairobi Governor, Mike Mbuvi Sonko, failed to appear at the Voi Law courts Wednesday where he was expected to answer to assault charges. 

His lawyers Cecil Miller, Salim Mwadumbo, Jared Magolo and George Kithi told the court that the Nairobi Governor was unwell.

The lawyers told Senior Resident Magistrate Frederick Mayaka Nyakundi that Sonko was recuperating at home following doctors’ orders.

The Magistrate ruled that Sonko be arraigned on January 21 next year. He further directed that the Nairobi Governor present himself at the DCI headquarters in Voi before appearing in court.

The Nairobi governor is facing charges for allegedly assaulting Coast Regional Police Commander Rashid Yakub by kicking him on the thigh and insulting other officers during his dramatic arrest on December 6th soon after the Director of Public Prosecutions indicted him for corruption following an investigation by the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC).

Last week, the Director of Communications in the National Police Service Police Charles Owino issued a statement saying that during Sonko’s dramatic arrest, he became abusive, unruly and violent in an attempt to resist arrest.

” Consequent to these acts of lawlessness against lawful police action, the police will prefer assault and other related charges against the governor,” read the statement.

The National Police Service said the Governor will face more charges for being abusive, violent and unruly in an attempt to resist arrest thus obstructing police officers from executing their duty.

According to EACC Sonko was arrested while fleeing to escape justice.

Just last week, the High Court declined to issue orders stopping the planned impeachment of Nairobi county governor Mike Sonko who is facing graft charges amounting to 357 million shillings.

Justice Weldon Korir instead directed the parties, Concerned Citizens Alliance to file a formal application in regard to the intended impeachment.

Two officials of Concerned Citizens Alliance, George Bush and Lawrence Oyugi told the court on Monday that some Nairobi Members of County Assembly had planned to impeach the governor.

Sonko was barred from accessing office on Wednesday last week after he was charged with several corruption and abuse of office charges.

The court also declined to stop criminal proceedings against Sonko for allegedly assaulting police officers during his arrest.

They were directed to serve the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) with an application they had filed seeking to stop Sonko’s prosecution.

In the petition the two had argued that Sonko’s rights as an accused person had been infringed hence, he was not properly before the court as an accused person but a victim.

  

Latest posts

Court stops excise duty adjustment on petroleum products

Christine Muchira

Govt spokesperson calls for objective reporting during elections

Claire Wanja

Man who killed friend after tiff over fare arrested

Margaret Kalekye

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More