The Ministry of Education is adamant that it will not table any counter offer on the proposed collective bargaining agreement by the lecturers until it concludes its audit on all public universities staff.
The ministry says it sympathizes with the students who have been affected by the over five week strike but is can do nothing until it gets the opinion of Treasury and the Salaries and Remuneration Commission before making any county offer which must be sustainable.
Mohammed says there will be no talks until the exercise is concluded a move she says will inform any proposal that the ministry will put on the table.
Despite having received a proposal from the Don’s Education CS Amina Mohammed said the ministry of education has not yet evaluated the cost of implementing the new 2017-2021 collective bargaining agreement and if at all it is viable.
The ministry says as of Thursday last week it had received only 80% of all documents from the universities that will be used for purposes of evaluation.
Last Month Vice chancellors had requested 6.8 billion shillings from the Government to end the university workers’ strike a proposal that was rejected by the University Academic Staff Union, saying the figures were unilaterally arrived at by the vice chancellors.
Amina is now pleading for patience from the dons saying she want to find a long lasting solution that will end the perennial strikes which are taking a toll on the education sector.
But for now the CS insists that the lecture’s strike is illegal and that the don’s should resume work before thinking of any talks.
The strike by lecturers is in its 5th week and learning in public universities across the country remains paralyzed and a solution seems a mirage.
The lecturers who staged a demonstration Wednesday have vowed to soldier on as long as it takes until the government offers a counter proposal on their 2017-2021 CBA.
The dons are blaming the ministry of education of ignoring their pleas.