Tunisian released after questioning over Berlin truck attack

By Beth Nyaga

German police have released a 40-year-old Tunisian man who had been a suspected accomplice of the Berlin Christmas market assailant.

German state prosecutors said they had found the man’s number on the phone of Anis Amri, who killed 12 people by ramming a lorry into market shoppers.

Amri was shot dead by police in Milan early last Friday, four days on from the attack. The 24-year-old Tunisian had opened fire, wounding one.

Amri had links to known Islamists.

German prosecutors say a video in which Amri pledges allegiance to so-called Islamic State (IS) is genuine.

Government officials have said the lorry’s automatic braking system may have prevented the loss of more lives on 19 December.

The system kicks in when it senses an impact and this may have cut the hijacker’s rampage short.

Frauke Koehler, spokesperson for the federal prosecutor’s office, said “further investigations revealed that the detained man was not a contact person of Anis Amri’s, therefore he had to be released”.

She said the pistol found on Amri when he was shot dead by Italian police last week had the same calibre as the one that killed the Polish driver whose truck Amri hijacked.

Lukasz Urban, 37, was killed by a gunshot to the head – apparently before the lorry was driven into the Christmas crowd at Breitscheidplatz, in central Berlin. His body was found in the cabin, after Amri had fled.

Source: BBC News

  

Latest posts

Former Algerian President Abdelaziz Bouteflika dies aged 84

Muraya Kamunde

US admits Kabul drone strike killed civilians

Muraya Kamunde

Is the Middle East ‘exporting’ violent extremism to Africa?

Eric Biegon

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More