TV journalist Maribe remanded at Langata Women Prison

TV Journalist Jacque Maribe and her fiancé Joseph Irungu alias Jowie will remain custody until Monday when they will take a plea.

KBC Radio_KICD Timetable

Television journalist Jacque Maribe together with her fiancé Joseph Irungu alias Jowie have been arraigned before the High Court to face murder charges of businesswoman Monica Kimani in Nairobi last month.

This development comes after detectives say there is sufficient evidence to warrant charges against the duo.

According to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Noordin Haji his decision was reached after reviewing a copy of the police file forwarded to him by a team of prosecutors investigating the incident.

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153

Until then, Maribe will stay in remand at Lang’ata Women’s Prison while Jowia at Industrial Area Prison.

Also Read  Gender Commission decries rising cases of children abuse

The court directed that Irungu gets medical treatment for his gunshot wound on his left shoulder believed to be self-inflicted and Maribe undergoes a mental assessment before they take plea.

Maribe conversing with her mother in the courtroom
An emotional Maribe

But preliminary investigations lead to the conclusion that the suspect may have shot himself in an apparent suicide attempt.

Also Read  Treasury to disburse county funds by Friday

The DPP had ordered that the two be charged with the murder of Monica Kimani stating that they had gathered adequate evidence to prosecute them.

DPP Noordin Haji said he had independently reviewed the evidence so far on record and found that there is sufficient evidence to warrant charges against the two.

“I am satisfied that there exists a prima facie to warrant criminal prosecution … for the offence murder contrary to section 203 as read with section 204 of the Penal Code,” he said Tuesday.

Also Read  Kenya, Somalia agree to reopen missions

Jacque Maribe was arrested on September 30 and held at the Gigiri Police Station, while the fiancée was being held in police custody at the Muthaiga station.

Monica was found dead at her apartment in Kilimani Her throat had been slit and her body dumped in a bathtub, just hours after she returned from Juba, South Sudan.


Tell Us What You Think