By Kevin Wachira/Margaret Kalekye
Former Devolution Cabinet Secretary Ann Waiguru was Thursday taken to task over the loss of 180 million shillings at the Youth Enterprise Development fund.
Appearing before the Parliamentary Investment Committee, Waiguru defended herself saying her efforts to seek an administrative report from the fund’s former CEO Catherine Namuye proved futile as investigative agencies had already taken up the matter.
“I did what needed to be done to avert corruption at YEDF” she said.
She at the same time dismissed claims by her former principal secretary Peter Mangiti alleging she was informed of the scandal early enough but failed to take action.
Waiguru was also taken to task for retaining the suspended Chief Executive Officer in an acting capacity even as she faced integrity questions.
Waiguru was questioned over the rationale of appointing another board member of the youth fund who was allegedly linked to the National youth service scandal.
MPs also sought to know how a letter of suspension for the fund’s finance manager who allegedly blew the whistle on the scandal was copied to her.
Mps also engaged the suspended members of the board of the youth fund, over approval to open a fixed account and deposit 400 million shillings at chase bank.
The committee is chaired by MP Kimani Ichung’wa (Kikuyu). Other members are Paul Otuoma (Funyula), Wamalwa (Kiminini), Wafula Wamunyinyi (Kanduyi), Cornelly Serem (Aldai), Olago Aluoch (Kisumu West) and Oburu Odinga (nominated).
The committee issued the summons last week noting that there was need to interact with all those mention to help members to get to the bottom of the matter.
Suspended Devolution Principal Secretary, Peter Mangiti, has claimed that he was kept in darkness over the transactions that led to the loss of over 180 million shillings from the kitty.
Mangiti who appeared Tuesday before the house team the transactions as a huge rip-off and forgery, saying even after personally questioning the now suspended Youth Fund CEO, Catherine Namuye, over the transactions, she denied any knowledge.
Mangiti said he only came to know about the controversial payment of the 180 million shillings to a communication firm Quorandrum Ltd from the Fund after sanctioned investigations.
He revealed that even the Youth enterprise Board members were not aware of the directive by the board chairman Bruce Odhiambo to have the CEO as the single signatory for the fund.
He accused Bruce Odhiambo of colluding with the suspended CEO and Chase bank to defraud the Fund through fishy deals.