Police officers searching for survivors in the Shakahola forest in Kilifi County will now extend the rescue operation to Tsavo East National Park.
Cabinet Secretary Ministry of Interior and National Administration, Kithure Kindiki said the State will incorporate drone search to ensure all survivors in the starvation cult led by controversial preacher Paul Mackenzie are rescued.
The CS noted that the second of the exhumation exercise in the 800-acre piece of land had been suspended to allow the State to conduct postmortem on the 123 bodies recovered.
“Only the search for graves and exhumation of the victims of the Shakahola Massacre has been suspended to allow for logistical arrangements for the postmortem examination of the additional 123 bodies recovered in Phase 2 of the exhumation exercise,” said Kindiki
“The search for and rescue of survivors within Shakahola Forest and The Chakama Ranch generally will continue uninterrupted,” he added
The postmortem exercise will commence on Wednesday 24th May 2023 at the Malindi Sub-County Hospital after which grave search and exhumation shall resume.
So far, the death toll stands at 235 while 613 people linked to the cult have been reported missing.