Postmortems conducted Monday on 22 Shakahola victims at the Malindi Sub-County Hospital Mortuary could not establish the exact cause of death.
Chief Government pathologist Johansen Oduor, said the bodies were severely decomposed.
Addressing the media, Odour said they had so far examined 34 bodies including 12 children.
This brings to 79 the number of autopsies done since the second phase of the exercise for 129 victims resumed last week.
Among the 34 were 21 females and 10 males as well as three whose sex could not be determined.
He said the team, which had taken a weekend rest due to exhaustion, was unable to determine the causes of death for 20 of the bodies while twelve displayed features of starvation.
“As for the cause of death, we found that many were very badly decomposed, we were unable to get the cause of death for 22 of them while 12 had features which looked like starvation,” he said
He said since many of the bodies were unidentifiable, the team took samples for further DNA testing.
The cult leader Paul Makenzi of Good News International Church who remains in police custody is said to have lured his followers to death through starvation.
It is likely that the postmortem exercise could end this week, paving the way for a resumption of the exhumations within Mr. Mackenzie’s 800-acre farm in Shakahola, which Interior Cabinet Secretary Kithure Kindiki suspended last week.
Mr. Kindiki said there were still many more graves on the farm, including about 10 mass graves that had already been identified.