Home NEWS County News Killing of three people by thugs sparks protests in Alego

Killing of three people by thugs sparks protests in Alego

Two suspected thugs have been arrested

Three people were Saturday evening killed by unknown thugs in North Alego location, sparking protests that saw angry locals storm Kowet and Ndere police stations.

Police had to fire in the air and lob tear gas on the demonstrators who threatened to overrun Ndere police post to fish out a suspected leader of the gang that has been terrorising the locals.

Channel 1

The demonstrators had earlier stormed two homes of the suspected members of a gang that they claimed was behind the insecurity in Nyalgunga, Got Oyenga and Gombe areas and set them ablaze.

One of the suspects was beaten senselessly and taken to Siaya County referral hospital.

According to the residents, the suspects named a businessman based at Ndere trading centre as their ring leader and as they marched to his shop, which is about 50 metres opposite Ndere police post, the businessman sensed danger and jumped into his motorcycle to seek refuge at the post.

The irate residents gave chase and stormed the police post while armed with crude weapons.

In the ensuing melee, a police van arrived and quickly whisked the suspect away to Siaya police station, leaving the irate demonstrators to vent their anger on the motorcycle which they dragged to the middle of the Siaya – Rang’ala road and set it ablaze.

A resident, Stephen Odongo who hails from Got Oyenga lamented that their pleas for action against the known suspects have often fallen on deaf ears hence their action today.

“Just the other day, the thugs raided Got Oyenga trading centre and cut an M-Pesa agent whom they robbed. This morning, we woke up to three murders and we cannot tolerate this anymore” said Odongo.

Nicholas Owino from the neighbouring Gombe village lamented that the police were always proactive in crackdown on illicit brews but did little in combating crime.

They called for a total overhaul of the Kowet and Ndere police officers, adding that if the government cannot heed their calls, then they better be left on their own.

Siaya county police commander, Michael Muchiri confirmed the incident, saying that two people have been arrested and are in police custody.

They are set for arraignment in court.

KBC Correspondent
+ posts