Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson says the club are “optimistic” that agreeing a new contract with England forward Eberechi Eze “won’t take too long”.
Eze, 25, has made 102 appearances for Palace since he joined from QPR on a five-year contract in August 2020 and was the club’s top scorer last season.
He made his England debut as a substitute in a 4-0 win over Malta in June following his first call-up.
“I believe the club are working very hard with Eberechi Eze,” Hodgson said.
“They are very confident it won’t be too long before they can announce him as well,” the Eagles manager added.
“These matters are taken care of by [chairman] Steve Parish and [sporting director] Dougie Freedman, they keep me informed.
“But certainly, they are optimistic it won’t take too long to get Eze to commit his future as well.”
Palace, who reappointed Hodgson as manager for the 2023-24 campaign, also tied winger Michael Olise to a new four-year deal in August amid interest from Chelsea.
Eze has been absent since sustaining a hamstring injury in the win against Manchester United at the start of October, while a similar problem has kept Olise out of action so far this season.
But Hodgson, looking ahead to Saturday’s Premier League fixture at Burnley, said on Thursday that he expects both players will return before the November international break.
“They’re making good strides,” said Hodgson, adding Eze had returned to training “pretty much as normal” but they are having to be “a little bit more careful” with Olise.
“[They will return] before the break without a doubt and hopefully even for the Everton game [on 11 November] it’s not out of the question.”