Update:

Gospel musician Christopher Mosioma popularly known as Embarambamba has agreed to comply with the laws governing content creation and exhibition.

Channel 1

The musician visited the KFCB offices accompanied by his lawyer Danstan Omari.

This comes after Embarambamba issued a public apology for contravening the laws set out by KFCB and by complying with part of the board’s demands by deleting multiple videos deemed ‘indecent’.

Through his lawyer, the musician asked for an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) in line with Article 159 of the Constitution of Kenya.

Further Omari encouraged the Board to have frequent dialogues with content creators on matters compliance, so as to promote the industry while achieving the Board’s regulatory mandate.

As such KFCB has agreed to work with the musician.

In contrast, William Getumbe who was also issued a demand letter by the board, alongside Embarambamba was arrested earlier this week in Eldoret.


March 5

Following a demand letter issued last week by the Kenya Film and Classification Board to the controversial gospel singer popularly known as Embarambamba, the board has further asked him to remove all offending content from YouTube and other social media platforms.

In a statement issued after the board met with the musician at its headquarters, it said it had “put (him) to task over the use of vulgarity, nudity, indecency, and *violent dancing styles* in his content, specifically in the ‘Niko Uchi’ song, among others.”

“Delete all offensive/indecent content (music videos) uploaded on his YouTube channel and other social media platforms within the remaining two (2) days of the demand notice, failure to which further legal action will be taken against him in line with Cap 222,” one of the instructions from the statement read.

Embarambamba was further asked to submit all his content to the board for review and to acquire a license.

“Submit all his content (music videos) to KFCB for examination and classification for age appropriateness.

“Acquire a filming license from KFCB before embarking on any new productions, and submit the same for classification for age-appropriateness before exhibiting to the public.”

This comes a week after KFCB issued a strongly worded statement on the rise and rampant sharing of explicit content on online platforms. 

Taking issue with recent cases including content shared by local artists Chris Embarambamba through his latest “Niko Uchi” and William Getumbe’s“Yesu Ninyandue”, KFCB CEO Nelly Muluka said the freedom of expression would not be tolerated as a catch-all excuse.

The board also shared that Embarambamba was remorseful and willing to adhere to their demands.

Website | + posts
kiico